50 Shades of Google - Fascinating facts about Google
We all know Google its a household name now, but I grew up in school with no computers and never even touched a PC until the first BBC micro came out in approx 1981.
Can you even imagine a world without Google, computers and software nowadays...betcha cant!
So what do you know about the worldwide giant Google?
Here are some fascinating facts about Google I thought you may find interesting;
1. 1.Google was founded in 1997 by 2 Standford university PhD students Larry Page and Sergy Brin whose initial company mission statement was "To organise the worlds information and make it universally accessible and useful".
2. Google.com domain went on-line in 1997.
3. 30 million pages indexed by 1998.
4. 1 billion pages indexed in 2000.
5. Acquired Blogger in 2003
6. Adsense launched in 2003
7. Gmail launched in 2004
8. 8 billion pages indexed in in 2004
9. Acquired YouTube in 2006 for $1.65 billion
10. 'Google' became a verb in the Oxford English Dictionary in June 2006
11. Android announced in 2007
12. 1 Trillion pages indexed in in 2008
13. Chrome launched in 2008
14. It currently runs over 1 million computer servers in data centres around the world
15. Google search handles over 1 billion searches per day
16. 7.2 billion daily page views
17. Daily visitors to Google is 620 million
18. Google.com’s worldwide ranking is number 1
19. Revenue in 2000 was $19 million
20. In 2009 Google’s revenue was nearly $23 billion
21. In 2009 Google’s profit was $6.5 billion
22. Google's original name was 'BackRub'
23. The BackRub search engine is still accessible - but isn't working.
24. Backrub was hosted on ten 4GB hard drives in a storage case made of Lego
25. 'Google' is a play on the word "googol", a term meaning a number 1 followed by 100 zeros
26. 97% is the percentage of revenue from advertising
27. Over 19,000 employees
28. 37% are research staff
29. 37% are sales staff
30. A ‘Noogler’ is a new person at Google
31. 45% of Google’s products are currently in Beta
32. 270,000 words a minute are written on Blogger
33. 146 million Gmail users
34. Google analytics is used on 57% of the top 10,000 websites
35. 400,000 new Android devices are activated every day
36. 100 million activated Android devices
37. 200,000 Apps available for the Android
38. 4.5 billion Apps have been installed from the Android Market
39. Google’s Android mobile operating system is the world’s leading smart phone platform surpassing Nokia and Apple with a 33% share
40. The infamous “I’m feeling lucky” button is nearly never used. However, in trials it was found that removing it would somehow reduce the Google experience. Users wanted it kept. It was a comfort button.
41. 57% of American kids say ‘Google’ as their first word
42. Klingon has been an official language of Google since 2002
43. Google processes 20 Petabyte of information daily
44. As of December 2009, Google’s assets were valued at $40.5 billion
45. Google has a world-class staff of more than 2,668 employees known as Googlers. The company headquarters is called the Googleplex.
46. Google’s index of web pages is the largest in the world, comprising of billions of web pages. Google searches this immense collection of web pages often in less than half a second.
47. Google estimates more than one million spam pages are created each hour.
48. Google Earth was originally partly funded by the CIA.
49. Domain names are being registered at more than one million names per month.
50. Now something fun, Google with its great sense of humour hides tons of Easter eggs in its products every year and we all try to find them; here are just a few;
Type in without Apostrophe's.
"Do a Barrel Roll"
"Google Gravity" (then enter).